Photo Credit: Bell’s Brewery
One of the most eagerly awaited annual beer releases is Bell’s Brewery’s Hopslam Ale, a highly rated (100 Rate Beer, 99 Beer Advocate, etc.) Double IPA, high in both hops (70 IBU) and alcohol by volume (10%). Every year, Bar Native spends an inordinate amount of our time searching hither and yon for one of these delicious beers. If you love hoppy beers, and haven’t yet experienced a Hopslam, then 2016 is your year to set that right.
The big news for 2016 is that due to some temporary limitations at the brewery, Hopslam will not be released in bottles this year; only cans and mini-kegs.
To prepare you for the upcoming hoppy invasion from neighboring Michigan, we are providing this listing of Hopslam release events in the Chicago area. Not nearly everything has been announced or even hinted at yet, so this list will be updated frequently as events are announced.
Hopslam Release, Tappings & Events
There will be a number of Hopslam tappings in the area over the next several weeks and you can find a listing of the release events below. As more events are announced, we’ll update the list.
Currently on Tap or in Can here (though obviously supply can run out anytime):
- Cary’s Lounge – 2251 W. Devon Ave, Chicago.
- Nisei Lounge – 3439 N. Sheffield, Chicago.
- The Corner Bar – 2224 N. Leavitt St, Chicago
- The Bavarian Lodge – 1800 Ogden Ave, Lisle.
- John’s Restaurant & Tavern – 27W482 Jewell Rd, Winfield.
- Standard Market Westmont – 333 E. Ogden Ave, Westmont.
- Fat Duck Tavern – 7218 W. Madison, Forest Park.
- Overtime Bar & Grill – 801 E. Roosevelt Rd, Lombard, IL
- Marquette Kitchen & Tap – 18 W. St. Charles Rd, Lombard.
- Jaxx Pub & Grill – 338 E. Army Trail Rd, Glendale Heights.
- Geneva Ale House – 319 W. State, Geneva.
- Beer House – 322 Yorktown Center, Lombard.
Events & Releases
Thursday, January 28th
- SOLD OUT 5pm: The Beer Temple – 3185 N. Elston Ave, Chicago.
- 7pm: The Long Room – 1612 W. Irving Park Rd, Chicago.
Friday, January 29th
- 4pm: Sheffield’s Beer & Wine Garden – 3258 N Sheffield Ave, Chicago.
Monday, February 1st
- 6pm: Theory Bar – 9 W Hubbard St, Chicago.
Tuesday, February 2nd
- 11am: The Olympic Tavern – 2327 N. Main St, Rockford.
- 5:30pm: Whole Foods Market – 1550 N. Kingsbury St, Chicago.
- 7pm: Dark Horse Tap & Grille – 3443 N. Sheffield, Chicago.
Wednesday, February 3rd
- 5:30pm: Binny’s Lincoln Park – 1720 N. Marcey, Chicago. Available on draft on-site and cans for take-home purchase.
- 6pm: Beer Bistro West Loop – 1061 W. Madison St, Chicago. Available in cans only.
Thursday, February 4th
- 6pm: Poor Phil’s – 139 S. Marion St, Oak Park.
- 6pm: Fox & Hound – 910 W. Dundee Rd, Arlington Heights.
Friday, February 5th
Saturday, February 6th
- Time TBA: Whole Foods Market Willowbrook – 6300 Kingery Hwy, Willowbrook.
Tuesday, February 9th
- 4pm: Lincoln Station – 2432 N. Lincoln Ave, Chicago.
Wednesday, February 10th
- 6pm: DryHop Brewers – 3155 N. Broadway St, Chicago.
Thursday, February 11th
- 4pm: Mac’s Wood Grilled - 1801 W. Division, Chicago.
- 5pm: Burke’s Tap – 2913 N. Lincoln Ave, Chicago. As part of their Barrel-Aged & Rare Beer Tap Takeover ($10 Take-Home Glass, $7 Refills)
- 5pm: Whole Foods Market Elmhurst – 215 S. Rt 83, Elmhurst.
Friday, February 12th
- 4pm: Howell’s & Hood - 435 N. Michigan Ave, Chicago.
Saturday, February 13th
- 3pm – 5pm: Riverside Foods – 48 E. Burlington St, Riverside.
Tuesday, February 16th
- 7pm: Standard Bar & Grill – 1332 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago.
Wednesday, February 17th
- 6pm: Emporium Arcade Bar – 1366 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago. Can Release Party